Sunday, May 24, 2009

05/24/09 Kettlebell Instruction

Today I had my first private lesson from RKC instructor Mike Barbato of Precisionkettlebells.com. I wanted to make sure I was doing the moves correctly. I figured I'll just need a little tweaking. My very first exercise the swing was......OMG! WRONG? I know I imitated the moves I saw on the DVD so how could I be wrong? I found I was generating my swings by squats instead of using just the hamstrings. I was doing power moves, a differnent exercise, which uses more muscles,(quads), then necessary. rats! Doing them correctly really felt weird. Now I'll have to re-train to overcome one of the universe's major powers.....HABIT. I'll also have to re-train muscle memory and build strength.

There is an important lesson in this, whether you are just starting out or have been trianing for some time, periodically check in with a certified instructor to avoid watering down the moves and violating another one of nature's laws, "as the twig is bent, so grows the tree".

No comments: